Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shelf life and Singlehood

Technically, shelf life means the length of time a product may be stored before it begins to depreciate. The phrase also suggests that capacity of the product to last long on the shelf without losing its charm and attractiveness. With this in mind, the form and content of the product has to mesmerize and enthrall a buyer much more than just to be glimpsed at but to be brought home to enjoy its purpose. Hence, every product has a destined buyer.

In relationships, being single can be likened to such a life. Like products on a shelf, people who are single vary in form and in content; thus they are classified for a destined partner. Some try to make use of their charm by typically dating to find a partner or spouse. However, some may not actively seek out a relationship or do not seek relations at all. Like products that last long to wait for the right buyer to come, there are also singles who wait for the ‘right’ person to enter their life.

Yes, I am single. And I am one of those who have the propensity to last the test of time until my fitting man comes. Maybe not with a shining armor or gallant sword or with a mighty steed or a face like that of prince charming but just the man I dreamed of, a faithful and loving partner.

But, as I conjure my singlehood, I found myself a handful of questions that the world of man-woman relationship has me to ponder: What is it with being single or being self-loved? Why is it that many people get confused when they hear that word, especially among teenagers? Do we have to love others immediately to be a worthy, complete and dignified person? Can we not just choose when and how to be involved in romantic relationships without social pressure?

I was on my typically contemplative daily walk to Joven’s beauty salon the other day for my hair rebondage when once again I found myself reviewing the current state of my 18-year-old life (still single and available) when these reservations cast my radical mind. I wasn’t unhappy exactly, I just felt a little lonely and somewhat lost on this platter of questions until I chanced upon a book on display at National Bookstore. It was “Self-Love” by Dr. Robert Schuller, an anthropologist and psychologist. I know I was destined for this book so I enthused myself and eventually found the answer to the queries at hand.

The author declares that self-love, or broadly singlehood, is the ultimate will of man. He writes “that what you really want more than anything else in the world is the awareness that you are a worthy person. It is the deepest of all the currents, which drive man onward, forward, and upward. All other drives pleasure, love, power, meaning, and creativity are symptoms or attempts to fulfill that primal need for personal dignity.”

Loneliness, however, can occur to many single people who look for relationship but cannot find anyone they might wish to date, especially for those who suffer the loss of companionship following divorce. He also points put that “while single people may feel lonely, cohabiting and married people also experience loneliness. Some single people regard and appreciate solitude as an opportunity to do whatever desires singles want.”

So, to all singles out there, don’t sadden yourself on what others say. Stand and be proud! Think about this: You begin a day worrying nothing about breakups and LQs (love quarrels), and in the making of your desires, indulge yourself in a comfortable life, alone and free.

You may be less in romantic relationships but you are more in expressing your own will. What you want in life and who you really want to be with are enough to be a complete and dignified person. No matter how long or in what way you meet the right partner, just relax and enjoy the moment of freedom and solitude.

Besides in a shelf life, everyone is destined to a particular someone. And the more patient and longer you are on the shelf, the more priceless and valuable you become.

No comments: